Sunday, March 7, 2010

Grandma's Mummified Hand


A Very Short Story

We sent Grandma’s mummified hand to Mike in California. Certified, return receipt requested.

We can see him coming home from work, seeing the notice on his door, getting excited, maybe curious, what would be sent certified to him? We can see him driving to the post office at the very first opportune moment, but Mike will not open the package until he gets home. That’s Mike’s way.

He’ll unwrap it slowly in his all-too-meticulous fashion and he’ll see Grandma’s mummified hand and the little note we wrote and then he’ll rush to the bathroom to spew and maybe next time he’ll think twice before jumping bail.

8 comments:

Jeanette Bennett said...

Good thing I don't drink coffee. Instead I spewed my tea-laughing.

Nice Flash Fiction.
You should submit it.

Laura Eno said...

HaHa! That'll teach him. I love this! But I'm warped too...

Anonymous said...

I laughed too, Neil. Fast and hard. But then I wondered, does a bail jumper return home where the post office can find him and not worry a little bit about certified mail? I'm glad he spewed, but I don't think Mike will learn anything.

Stuart said...

I expected the title to be a metaphor, but was pleased that it wasn't. Nicely done.

Laurita said...

super short and oh so sweet. Nicely done!

Marisa Birns said...

That's a great first sentence! Certainly makes a reader say, "Wha?" and read on...

He has to learn how to hide better!

Nice piece of flash.

shannon said...

Quick and twisted! I like the way the second paragraph flows so well as a long sentence. Well done!

mazzz in Leeds said...

I suspect even Grandma will be chuckling in her grave!