Thursday, January 17, 2008

In Defense of Food

I got a Barnes & Nobles gift card for my birthday and one of the items I purchased for myself was In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifestoby Michael Pollan. I've read several chapters already (thanks, snow day!) and am quite enjoying it. I've been actively trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils for quite a while now, but this, I think, will lead me to be even more cognizant of reading labels. It's so difficult to figure out things to cook from raw ingredients, especially when trying to figure out what children might eat and how long it might take to do it. But I think we've got to start figuring out how to stay on the outside edges of the grocery store and avoid the middle aisles as much as possible.

No comments: