Saturday, April 16, 2011

Nothing Lasts Forever

I've accepted the Blogging A to Z Challenge. All month, I'm going to blog about Books from A to Z.

Being who I am, one of the things I took away after first seeing Die Hard was that the movie was based on a novel.
Nothing Lasts Forever
So, of course, I had to go find and read it.

Nothing Lasts Forever is actually a sequel to another novel, The Detective. That book was made into a film that starred Frank Sinatra.

Yes, if Die Hard had been made closer to when the novel was published, it would have starred Frank Sinatra.

The character of Holly, Bruce Willis' wife in the movie, is the character''s daughter in the book. And while a lot of the plot elements are there, the main character (named Joe Leland, not John McClane) spends his time crawling though the building ruminating about the events of The Detective.

Yippee ki-yay and ring-a-ding-ding.

By the way, Die Hard 2: Die Harder was based on the novel 58 Minutes by Walter Wager. I read that one, too.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Interesting, "Die Hard" is the kind of movie I thought was simply a high concept screenplay. Wouldn't have imagined it as a novel. Well, and Sinatra adds to the oddness of it all. He actually played a lot of serious roles.

Marcus
http://writing.wordit.com