Friday, April 22, 2011

Seven Plays

I've accepted the Blogging A to Z Challenge. All month, I'm going to blog about Books from A to Z.


Sam Shepard : Seven Plays (Buried Child, Curse of the Starving Class, The Tooth of Crime, La Turista, Tongues, Savage Love, True West)Sam Shepard really hit the big time during my college years. Fool for Love. The Right Stuff. Buried Child.

I loved his image, the loner cowboy cruising the west. I loved the work itself. The crazed beauty of Tooth of Crime. The oddball intensity of Chicago. The rugged loneliness and anger of True West.

We did a production of True West that remains one of my favorites. I have a scar on my arm from being hit with a typewriter during the big fight scene one evening.

Shepard is also a master at creating short, atmospheric fiction. Motel Chronicles. Cruising Paradise. Day Out of Days. His imagery is stark and I almost prefer his fiction to his amazing stage work. You can just get enveloped in that atmosphere. It makes we want to put on a pair of cowboy boots and drive a pickup truck deep into the desert.

And it makes me want to be in one of his plays again...

No comments: